The Trick, Is Not Minding That It Hurts



A messenger, having just brought in a message for Lawrence of Arabia, watches him extinguish a lighted match slowly with his fingers.  

Lawrence reads the message then gathers his kit to leave. Meanwhile, Potter tries to put out a match with his fingers. It hurts and he asks Lawrence what the trick is. Lawrence replies: 

"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts." 

Every life has pain.  Some greater than others.  Some years, months, days, greater than others.  I’ve learned this principle with a depth I can’t explain adequately.  What I know is, that when I put my attention on the pain, it hurts more.  When I do not, it hurts less, and sometimes not at all. 

This principle works no matter the depth of the pain or the consequence of the cause.  When I place my mind ON the pain, the pain rules.  When I do not MIND the pain, it has no power. 
That isn’t to say that all the troubles go away.  There are continuous nudges and stings and reminders to MIND the pain.  To put my attention and focus on it.  I do. . . briefly. . . but then I try to remember the trick. 

The trick, is not minding that it hurts.


The trick isn’t that the pain goes away, simply that I choose to put it in its place, instead of allowing it to put me in mine.  Try it. . . but don’t go around touching the flame just to see!


Comments

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome, writers love to hear readers ideas too.

Popular posts from this blog

Reconsiderations and Ministrations

Fluid time; static time and flow.

Just Believe