Irritated by the Rub

Rumi said this:  'If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?'

I heard that one day and thought about it.  Long and hard.  I've had a mosquito bite that just won't let me have peace. I've also had those itches that no matter how long and hard and wide you scratch, they refused to be sated.  I've also polished nails, rocks, pottery and sanded wood.  All of these experiences swirled around in my mind as I heard this statement.  
Is it my intention to be comfortable or to be better?  That was a difficult question to come face to face with.  Sometimes, if I'm honest with myself, I don't WANT to be rubbed!  I don't want to go to the gym, I don't want to have difficult experiences, and I don't WANT to have to have my patience tried in order to gain more of it.  However . . . I've also learned that usually, there is no other way.  

Wanting is tricky business.  It comes down ultimately, to what I want MOST.  Do I really want that sculpted gorgeous body of a model, or do I really just want to live my life easily, do the minimum to be healthy, and have more time to do other things I want more?  

In the end, it really is about what you want most.  You'll get it. So, if you aren't 'getting' what you think you want, look at where you endure rubbing the most.  You'll find your answer as to where your heart truly is. 

So. . . what do you really want? 
 Photo by Alma Rubel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reconsiderations and Ministrations

Fluid time; static time and flow.

Just Believe